[STS-Africa] Teaching and States of the Field

Helen Tilley helen.tilley at northwestern.edu
Thu Jan 10 16:24:18 SAST 2019

Dear colleagues,

Laura Foster and Tolu Odumosu’s call for papers yesterday reminded me that I wanted to reach out asking if there’s a site anywhere that pools syllabi relating to STS-Africa (including history) on various themes. I’m also interested in review articles that set new research priorities for the field.

Along these lines, I thought I’d share a piece I wrote last summer and that went live in November on “The History and Historiography of Science” for Oxford’s Encyclopedia of African History.

I’ll add that when I was invited to prepare this, other authors, including Clapperton Mavhunga, had been solicited to write their own review essays on technology (and medicine) so while I touch on some technological (and medical) themes, I left a lot of this literature to one side (including citations because I assumed these authors would cite their own work). That’s the peril of disciplinary sub-divisions :-)

But caveats aside, here’s the link to the online version and a pdf of the piece is attached below.

http://oxfordre.com/africanhistory/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277734.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277734-e-353

I’m sure many on this list have written terrific review essays and it might benefit us all to pool this information somewhere for ourselves and our students.

All best wishes for the New Year!
Helen