[STS-Africa] Fwd: Seminar Invitation - 'Data and Inequality' Seminar Series

Gianluca Miscione gianluca.miscione at ucd.ie
Tue Feb 27 11:00:58 SAST 2018

Perhaps of interest

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to the first seminar of our ‘Data and Inequality’ seminar series. This series is an extension of the ICTD series we have held in Oxford in previous years. This year we are organizing it at The Alan Turing Institute, the UK’s national institute for data science, where we are in charge of a special interest group on Data and Inequality <https://www.turing.ac.uk/research_projects/data-and-inequality/> . This interest group seeks to bring together scholars and scholarship on the topic of data and inequality. We do this in two ways. First, by asking how we might best employ new data streams to better understand economic, social, and political inequalities around the world. Second, by asking how digital data may actually serve to amplify or reduce existing inequalities or create new ones.

The Data and Inequality seminar series features leading scholars and development industry practitioners working in the nexus of data and inequality. They reflect on the influence of the ever-increasing presence of data on processes of development and inequality. The speaker presentations will be followed by a discussion amongst the seminar participants and will conclude with a networking reception.

The first talk is by Lourdes Montenegro of the International Telecommunication Union on Thursday March 1. Her talk is titled: ‘Bridging the Quality Divide in Internet Provision with Competition-Enhancing Regulation’ and you can sign up here <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/data-and-inequality-bridging-the-quality-divide-in-internet-provision-with-competition-enhancing-tickets-42668114479> .

Kind regards,

Mark Graham and Sanna Ojanperä
Co-Convenors of the Data and Inequality Special Interest Group

_______________________________

Sanna Ojanperä

Researcher and Doctoral Student
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford

Doctoral Student
The Alan Turing Institute

Future of Work Fellow
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development

Email: sanna.ojanpera at oii.ox.ac.uk <mailto:sanna.ojanpera at oii.ox.ac.uk>
Tel: +44 (0) 1865 287210
Twitter: @SannaOjanpera
Web: www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/sanna <http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/sanna>