[STS-Africa] FW: Call For Papers (Extended) | African Infrastructure Futures Conference Nov 21 2022 Cape Town

Gianluca Miscione gianluca.miscione at ucd.ie
Thu Apr 28 09:50:19 SAST 2022

<https://bit.ly/3gX5ppl> Africa  <https://bit.ly/35dl3dT> Online

From: Built Environment and STS <BESTS at JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Andrew
Karvonen
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2022 8:55 AM
To: BESTS at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Call For Papers (Extended) | African Infrastructure Futures
Conference Nov 21 2022 Cape Town

Dear colleagues,

The African Centre for Cities (ACC) will be hosting an academic conference
entitled African Infrastructural Futures: Urban research, debates and
priorities, on 21 November 2022 in Cape Town, South Africa. The event will
take place at the University of Cape Town.

For reasons beyond our control and largely related to the complexity of
planning large events in this moment, we had to move the conference dates
from October 18 to November 21 2022.

We have therefore decided to reopen our call for contributions for the
academic day (Nov 21 2022) and extend the deadline for the submission of
abstracts to 13 May 2022. For those who already submitted, we have contacted
each of you and we hope you will still be able to join us.

The scientific committee, chaired by Professor AbdouMaliq Simone, will
review the abstracts and curate a selection of panels and papers by the end
of June 2022. While the conference will be streamed online, the academic day
will be an in-person event, so attendance is required in person.

The academic conference forms part of a three-day event hosted by the ACC
which focuses on African infrastructure futures. Day 1 (Nov 21st) will adopt
a traditional academic conference setup (with themes outlined below). Day 2
and 3 (Nov 22nd and 23rd) will focus on the substance of the policy and
practice debates, with a curated programme of panel discussions featuring
development finance institutions, private sector representatives, African
climate activists, African mayors and other infrastructure players on the
continent. The conference overall will be a unique opportunity to break the
usual silos of academia, development finance institutions, governments and
private sector organizations, and to reframe the sustainable urban
infrastructure debates in Africa.

For the academic conference, we welcome proposals/abstracts which engage
with the following questions and themes:

*	What does sustainable urban infrastructure mean in the African
context? This theme will substantiate our understanding of sustainable urban
infrastructure across diverse geographies.
*	What sorts of infrastructure transitions are in-progress, probable
and possible to address carbon-dependent and resource-intensive urbanism?
This theme will engage with questions related to climate change, resource
constraints, and resilient urban infrastructure in African cities.
*	Who is involved and excluded from agenda-setting and prioritisation?
With an eye on civil society, private sector organizations, donors, and
sub-national governments, this theme will explore the dynamics, closures and
cracks in infrastructure and transition governance.
*	What are the planning and connectivity interfaces across scales?
>From the sub-city scale to trans-border urban corridors, this theme engages
with research which shifts our spatial orientation and reframes planning and
investment priorities across scales.
*	How will speculative technologies shape the ontology of
infrastructure? This theme will engage with the future of African cloud
infrastructure, digital platforms, and speculative technological futures.
*	These questions roughly correspond to the five provocations which
will guide the structure of the conference at large.

Key links:

- For further information about the conference, the call for papers, the
selection process, and timelines see:
<https://www.africancentreforcities.net/call-for-papers-african-infrastructu
ral-futures-urban-research-debates-and-priorities/>
https://www.africancentreforcities.net/call-for-papers-african-infrastructur
al-futures-urban-research-debates-and-priorities/

>From the organizing team,

Edgar Pieterse (Director, African Centre for Cities, University of Cape
Town)
Liza Rose Cirolia (Senior researcher, African Centre for Cities, University
of Cape Town) Nobukhosi Ngwenya (Researcher, African Centre for Cities,
University of Cape Town)
Andrea Pollio (Marie Curie Fellow, African Centre for Cities, University of
Cape Town and DIST, Polytechnic of Turin).

BESTS is a mailing list for researchers with an interest at the intersection
of STS and the built environment. Its homepage is www.jiscmail.ac.uk/bests