[STS-Africa] Perhaps of interest to some

Veronica Brodén Gyberg veronica.broden.gyberg at liu.se
Wed Jun 17 16:03:45 SAST 2020

https://envhistnow.com/2020/06/15/flipthelist-call-for-participants/

#FLIPTHELIST: CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
[https://i1.wp.com/envhistnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/DFF819D1-A5A7-4E25-8DFE-3C0519C3DA02-ed.jpeg?fit=1024%2C682&ssl=1]
Let’s #FlipTheList!
Diversifying and Enriching the Wikipedia Entry on Environmental Books
Date and time: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 – 9:00am-5:00pm EDT
Sponsors: ASEH Committee on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity<https://aseh.org/Committee-on-Diversity-Inclusion-and-Equity>; ASEH Graduate Student Caucus<https://twitter.com/ASEHGradCaucus>; Environmental History Now<https://envhistnow.com/>; NiCHE New Scholars<https://niche-canada.org/research/new-scholars/>; Women’s Environmental History Network<https://twitter.com/envhistwomen>
To register your interest: click here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lX3NxEX3qOKv1niZkrTeuGVcDfVKiZJzYfRXc9JKU5U/edit>

Even a cursory glance at the “List of environmental books” article<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_environmental_books> on Wikipedia reveals a striking imbalance in the works that are represented: an overwhelming bias towards white, male authors<https://twitter.com/SaraBPritchard/status/1266051377295474695>. We need to listen to Black community members and heed calls to #ShutDownAcademia<https://www.shutdownstem.com/> in order to move from intent to action in addressing systemic racism. We also want to build on the ongoing work of the Syllabus Project<https://thesyllabusproject.weebly.com/>, which has encouraged environmental historians to diversify their course syllabi by including more scholarship by women and people of color. It’s clear we need to update and enrich this woefully inadequate list of resources on Wikipedia so it brings the diverse and multi-layered nature of environmental-related work and expertise to the forefront—not only for academics, but especially the general public.

Therefore, we’re going to #FlipTheList on Tuesday, June 23! Our goal is to add 300 books by scholars of color, scholars from the global south, and/or scholars who identify as women, trans and non-binary people.

While Wikipedia edit-a-thons are well-established events for making extensive enrichments to many articles pertaining to particular topics on the website, #FlipTheList will have the modest goal of revolutionizing this one particular list of environmental books by crowdsourcing recommendations. This will enable us to make a major impact in this one area. We also want to make sure that the event is accessible so that a wide range of people can contribute.

On June 23, participants will have the opportunity to meet together virtually, to contribute their book recommendations to a shared document, and to sign up as a volunteer to subsequently publish these selections on the Wikipedia article. Beginning with the shared document will help us to organize the material before it is added to Wikipedia, as well as to avoid “edit-conflicts” that can occur when multiple people attempt to edit the same article at the same time.

We are also looking for volunteers to help edit the extant list after June 23. Some volunteers may also want to create new Wikipedia pages containing accurate and relevant information about some of the authors and books we will be adding.

HOW CAN I HELP ON JUNE 23?

Join our Zoom session on June 23. Add book recommendations to the Google sheet while hanging out, meeting other scholars, and perhaps having conversations about diversity, equity, scholarship, and pedagogy. Feel free to stay for 10 minutes or several hours!

Share this project with interested colleagues and list servs so that we can #FlipTheList!