[STS-Africa] STS Africa Affiliation

Lesley Green lesley.green at uct.ac.za
Tue Feb 18 11:11:58 SAST 2014

Dear Keith and colleagues,

Thank you very much for this very welcome initiative, and once again to convey my profound regrets at having been unable to join the meeting in Johannesburg last week.

>From my perspective, I would like to suggest some ways forwards, but in doing so I am mindful that I have missed some of your discussion and may be going over ground that you have already considered:

*         that in the first instance we work towards building a network, before asking people to consider putting funds in - that can come later, once we have moved toward a founding agreement, or perhaps even a constitution. My particular concern is to ensure  participation from smaller entities, from rural universities, and from emerging units that may be struggling to fund new work. The value of an established wide network outweighs the value of the few thousand rand that an entry fee would generate.

*         That we work towards a second meeting - perhaps at the Stellenbosch meeting in September - where we can discuss how to establish a regional (southern African) network (or subcommittee) that would be part of the Africa-wide network and which  would serve our collective goal of establishing a new field of study, specifically looking to the question o how to leverage regional funding resources

*         In my view it is very important to be able to build a network that benefits research projects on a wide range of campuses in the region, and would be very cautious about centralising the initiative too fast. That kind of interest - in creating a strong, dispersed network - could work towards sharing visiting scholars, for example, and doing the ground-work for establishing funding opportunities for research in this field. To me this is a way of working that would support the development of new student research, which is where a great deal of the energy for this work would happen, and it could also support colleagues to develop new graduate courses in this field.

I want to add that in June last year, I and a number of colleagues from five campuses and several faculties approached the NRF to support the development of science studies in South Africa, but the application for support for a meeting and some visitors was rejected by the NRF on the grounds that "funding for interdisciplinary research was already available".  The reviewers had clearly failed to grasp - or perhaps I had failed to adequately convey - the importance of supporting science - technology- society studies in the region.  Either way I think there needs to be a formal approach made to the NRF regarding this field, with a view (at least) to ensuring that applications get sent to reviewers familiar with (broadly) STS in the south. I'll be happy to share the document and the  reviews of it to those interested, with a view to restrategising a collective approach to regional sources of research and bursary funding.

Again, thank you to all involved for this initiative; am looking forward to working with you all, and to seeing what we can accomplish jointly.

Sincerely

Lesley Green.

Associate Professor: Anthropology
School of African and Gender Studies, Anthropology and Linguistics
&
PI: Environmental Humanities Initiative, Faculty of Humanities
University of Cape Town, South Africa

http://uct.academia.edu/lesleygreen