[State at Wits] Yuen Ang Discussion

Keith Breckenridge keith at breckenridge.org.za
Fri Jul 2 11:19:46 SAST 2021

Colleagues,

On Friday, July 16, at 4pm, WISER and SWOP will host a public,
no-attribution panel discussion with Yuen Yuen Ang of her new book, China's
Gilded Age :  The Paradox of Economic Boom and Vast Corruption (Cambridge,
2020).

More information about this book (which we think has startling and
important implications for the diagnosis and remedies of South Africa's
current crisis), including short talks and sample chapters is available at
https://sites.google.com/view/yuenyuenang.  A paper summarising Ang's
arguments has just been published in Foreign Affairs :
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/asia/2021-06-22/robber-barons-beijing.

Please register for this event in advance at
https://wits-za.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZCYFC-yCQ7Kx29xZUbkNXQ

Please send any questions you would like to pose to Ang to me before next
Friday.

Thanks, k
-------
Keith Breckenridge  *W I S E R* - The Wits Institute for Social and
Economic Research, University of the Witwatersrand | Pbag 3, PO Wits,
 Johannesburg, South Africa, 2050 | Phone +27(0)11-7174272 | Web:
wiser.wits.ac.za