[State] FW: I-CONnect Blog

Jonathan Klaaren Jonathan.Klaaren at wits.ac.za
Sun Oct 30 07:13:34 SAST 2016

Hello Persons Subscribed to the State list

This book reviewed in the email below looks like it might be of interest to some of us.  It’s by James Gathii, a Kenyan socio-legal scholar who is working in the US at a law school.  He’s mostly known as an international economic law scholar — was proposed for a post at the WTO and then vetoed by the US as not hewing closely enough to the line — but has also been doing much interesting work on the emergence of regional economic courts in Africa (e.g. Comesa, SADC, and the EAC).  So this work on Kenya is a bit different from his usual work but looks like it could be an important piece of the puzzle of studying the Kenyan state.

Keith’s asked us to introduce ourselves and our work so I’ll put a bit here:  I currently teach, research, and write in the areas of human rights, law (including jurisprudence and competition law), and sociology, working at the Law School and WiSER.  I have current research interests in the legal profession, regulation and human rights, transparency, and sociolegal studies in Africa.  I have current writing projects in various stages of publication on the history of South African citizenship (1897-1937), competition law and economic development in contemporary Africa, regulatory impact analysis, legal education, and the state of access to justice in South Africa.  You can see more at http://wiser.wits.ac.za/users/jonathan-klaaren

Regards

Jonathan Klaaren